Go New York, go New York, go … to the NBA Draft.
The New York Knicks are coming off a disappointing 2021-22 season, finishing 11th in the Eastern Conference and out of the playoff picture after a promising prior season, once again landing as a lottery team.
Now is when the real work begins: The Knicks have some big decisions to make regarding their personnel over the coming weeks, and the 2022 NBA Draft is the first opportunity to give their roster a real facelift.
New York still needs to address several roster holes, including finding a starting point guard, addressing the center position and adding a scoring wing. Luckily, they have some picks to work with — but only some.
Here's what you need to know about this year's slate of picks for the Knicks:
Knicks draft picks 2022: When does New York pick?
The Knicks have a pair of draft picks in the 2022 NBA Draft, both of which are their own selections:
- Round 1, Pick 11
- Round 2, Pick 12 (No. 42 overall)
The Knicks traded their No. 11 pick Ousmane Dieng to the Thunder. Oklahoma City is sending the Knicks multiple first-round picks in the deal, per ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.
Knicks 2022 NBA draft order
|1||Ousmane Dieng (New Zealand Breakers)|
|2||Trevor Keels (Duke)|
Knicks draft needs
- Point guard: The Knicks have been looking for a playmaking point guard for decades now (sorry if this is Raymond Felton erasure), hearkening back to the days of Stephon Marbury and, even further back, Clyde Frazier. Wash, rinse, repeat. While New York has tried the combo guard route, they've lacked a true floor general for years. This isn't surprising or new. Look for them to try and figure out that spot in the draft or free agency, once again.
- Center: With Mitchell Robinson and the front office not coming to terms on a contract extension, the oft-injured center is likely headed elsewhere in free agency. That leaves a 7-foot hole in the middle of the paint.
- Scorers, scorers, scorers: The Knicks ranked 26th in points per game in each of the last two seasons. Stifling defense under Tom Thibodeau hasn't exactly resulted in a lot of points on the other end, nor has it resulted in a lot of wins. The Knicks need to find scoring from somewhere, preferably from either guard spot.
New York Knicks mock draft 2022
Here are the latest projected picks, according to TSN's Kyle Irving:
- Round 1, Pick 11: AJ Griffin, F, Duke
- Round 2, Pick 12: Ryan Rollins, G, Toledo